Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Vendor Spotlight: Horrible Adorables

List your shop name and give a brief description of your work and process.
My shop is called 'Horrible Adorables' and I make strange faux taxidermy creatures that are both a little sweet and a little creepy.  Each idea begins with a few fast sketches of animals with a hodgepodge of different features that wouldn't normally go together.  Then I start laying out my next sculpture from one of the initial ideas.  They constantly shift in appearance and evolve as I work on them, having antlers added or maybe even a couple of wooly pom-poms for a rad hairdo.  Once I have the sculpture carved, they are covered with colorful wool felt 'scales.'  
Describe your studio. What makes it a creative space?
My studio is filled with things that I find inspiring.  Colorful fabrics, a herd of vintage glass deer, a rescued pair of taxidermy squirrels destined for the landfill but now dressed to the nines with miniature top hats, and of course lots of artwork!  I surround my workspace with the things that I love and hope that some of that wonderful aesthetic finds its way into the things that I create.  

What is your favorite summer ritual?
I love being a vendor at these craft fairs!  It is a fun way to kick start summer and I usually turn them into mini vacations since I so often travel out of state to attend them.  The other vendors and customers are always super awesome and I usually leave the show having made new crafty friend!

No comments: