Friday, May 25, 2012

Vendor Spotlight: Tiny Peepers


List your shop name and give a brief description of your work and process.
My name is Kelly Smith-Tilly and I’m a screen printer living in Raleigh, North Carolina. I print on tea towels, kids’ t-shirts, and scarves. 


Describe your studio. What makes it a creative space?
My studio is pretty much the back half of my tiny bungalow. I burn screens on my light box in the laundry room. I print everything on my kitchen table, and dry my prints on IKEA racks in the living room. The stuff I make gets stored in the empty dresser in the guest room. Everything else is in my sunroom. It’s tight, but it’s everything I need at the moment. Plus my kitchen is orange, and that makes me really happy. And working in your own kitchen has the added benefit (or curse) of having all your food right at your fingertips.

Do you have anything new that shoppers can look forward to?
I noticed at craft shows that men liked my designs, but didn’t give a flip about buying tea towels (I know). So I started making paper prints just a few weeks ago, and they have been a hit with the gentlemen crowd. Turns out I love printing on paper. After three years, I really hadn’t tried it much, and now I’m really excited. I made sure my prints are a standard size, because nothing is more annoying than buying a really great print and then realizing it’s a difficult size to frame. I’m all about immediate gratification when it comes to decorating my home. If it requires custom treatment or multiple trips to Home Depot, I’m out.


I’m a Towson University grad with family ties to Baltimore, so I’m really excited to be in Pile of Craft. I’m working on a Baltimore tea towel just for the show. And I promise it won’t have the word ‘hon’ on it or have anything to do with crabs.

No comments: