Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Meet Pile of Craft Vendor, pidge pidge!

I run pidge pidge out of a cozy third floor apartment in Rochester, NY with my boyfriend and grumpy cat, Pigeon. My sewing machine and I are sandwiched between an old rickety floor loom and a giant stack of fabric in a tiny red room. There you'll find me hand embroidering quirky pet portraits, weaving scarves (including lightweight summer scarves) and listening to archive episodes of This American Life.

For my scarves, I am always inspired by the different color combinations and fashion sense of my customers. I keep a notebook at craft shows to jot down ideas for scarves. In my studio you'll also find countless piles of magazine cutouts, photos and bits of nature I look to at the start of each design. I find inspiration for pet portraits on my walks to work in the morning (so many neighborhood pups walking their owners)!

I love the clearance bins at local yarn shops - odd leftover colors and other fibers that might be less popular for knitting often work great for weaving! I also search yarn lots on ebay and good ol' craft stores.

If I could eat anything tonight, I would probably crave veggie dumplings, pad thai and anything with peanut sauce every single day. It might be a sickness.

You can also find pidgepidge at my etsy shop: www.pidgepidge.etsy.com and other craft shows through the year. I'm based out of Rochester, NY but am slowly expanding my travel circle.

No comments: